You’ve tested positive for COVID-19, now what?
- You will receive a phone call from either your GP, testing centre or the local public health unit if your Covid-19 test result comes back positive.
Isolation and Support Decisions
- If you are not notified by your GP or testing centre, you will also receive a call from someone at your local public health unit who will discuss further details and options for isolation and support for your everyday needs.
- Please answer your phone if you can. If you miss the original phone call(s), you may receive a text message asking you to contact the local public health team to discuss your result.
- Now that there is a higher rate of vaccination in Aotearoa New Zealand, most people who are COVID-19 positive will have mild symptoms which can easily be managed at home. 95% people who are COVID-19 positive won’t need to go hospital.
Questions or Concerns?
- If you do not hear from your local public health unit within 24 hours of receiving your positive result, please call the COVID-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5443 (24 hours, 7 days per week).
When and where to seek help:
|Call 111 if: |
You have severe trouble breathing or severe chest pain
You are confused or not thinking clearly
You feel faint or pass out (lose consciousness)
|Call your healthcare team (or GP if you don’t know how to reach your healthcare team) if: |
You have new or worsening trouble breathing
You have worsening symptoms
You start getting better and then get worse
You have symptoms of severe dehydration such as:
– Having a very dry mouth
– Passing only a little urine (pee)
– Feel very light-headed
|You may experience very mild or no symptoms. It is important to stay hydrated- drink plenty of water keep monitoring your symptoms so you notice any changes. It is important to avoid running, strenuous exercise and high impact activities.|
Useful Phone Numbers
Monday–Friday 8am – 5pm
- Ranolf Medical Centre on 07 347 7537
NZ wide, 24 hours, 7 days per week
- COVID-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5453
- Community Isolation and Quarantine Advice Line 0800 OUR MIQ (0800 687 647)
Helpful Resources for You and Your Whanau:
- Be prepared for covid
- Covid readiness checklist
- If you test positive for covid
- Care at home with covid
- How to use a pulse oximeter
- How to Quarantine at Home
- Timeline of COVID-19 Symptoms
- COVID-19 Positive- How to Manage Your Symptoms
- Positions to Make Your Breathing Better
- Symptom and Pulse Oximeter Diaries for the Whole Family
- Financial Support for Individual and Whānau
- COVID-19 Positive Care in the Community